When choosing a doula it’s important to choose someone who knows what they are doing and someone you are comfortable with. Read this page to learn a bit about me personally and then read the following page to learn about my qualifications.
Certifications/Education/Experiences Of Me As A Birth Doula
* My biggest ‘education’ is from personal experience. I have given birth naturally twelve times. My labors, from start to finish, tend to be long; ranging from 14 hours up to 2.5 days. I usually have a long prodomal labor, or pre-labor, due to posterior positioning of my babies. However, once I convince my baby to move, my labor kicks into full swing and goes fast from there.
* I took a Bradley based Childbirth Education class through Eugene Birth Education in 2013 and a Hypnobabies based Childbirth Education class in 2014.
* I am currently studying for certification as a Birth Doula (almost finished!!) and Childbirth Educator through the organization Birth Arts International to help facilitate my clients reimbursement through their insurance companies. As it is currently very rare for a client to get reimbursed for their doula I’m hoping that this will change as insurance companies learn more about the benefits of having a doula. I will do whatever I can to facilitate reimbursement for my clients.
* I just recently (June 2016) earned my Neonatal Resuscitation Program Card through the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP/NRP Card). I completed my testing with Karen Strange, a well-known trainer recommended worldwide for her midwifery model of care approach to resuscitating a newborn baby.
* I certified as a Placenta Encapsulator in accordance with the OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens Standards in April 2016.
Continuing Birth Education/ Midwifery/Doula Conference Attendance
* Midwifery Today Conference 2011, where I studied techniques to help the baby have proper positioning as well as helpful solutions for shoulder dystocia.
* Midwifery Today Conference 2013, where I studied spinning babies, doula techniques, pregnancy exercise, herbal remedies, prolonged labor, and proper nutrition during pregnancy and beyond.
* Midwifery Today Conference 2015, where I furthered my study of spinning babies (class given by Gail Tully herself where I was blessed to be used as her ‘model’ for her exercises), emergency midwifery, herbal, homeopathic, and essential oil remedies, Rebozo techniques, nutrition, emergency infant resuscitation and prolonged labor.
Local Community Volunteering
* I volunteer for the Fern Ridge Gleaners as their Treasurer and Co-coordinator. I have been volunteering with this group for over eight years and have served as their treasurer and co-coordinator for six years.